10 Insights from my Interview with Abraham Martínez
Abraham Martínez, Director of Photography on Queen of the South and The Chi, and I talked in-depth about his life and career. Here are 10 insights that we have chosen from our conversation. No matter who you are, or what you do, you may well find these really helpful…
- I vividly remember seeing these kids and giving them these little short ends of film from the camera truck and driving away, down a dusty road – in a very cinematic way – looking back and seeing all the kids playing with the long 30, 40, 50 feet of film. That would be the most pivotal point in my life, where I wanted my work to mean something.
- He was getting close to retirement and was telling me that, when you look back you want to make an impact.
- That’s the point where mentorship at a very heart-level met artwork and storytelling and, for me, that purpose came to fruition and I knew I was on the path where I wanted to be.
- I always tell our kids that travelling and the exploration of today is about learning the hearts of men, and to truly listen!
- Early on in my career, I started shooting on social justice documentaries: human trafficking, poverty. I did maybe a stint of five years of that type of work and it took a toll on me, broadened my understanding of violence, to know that poverty is the true enemy.
- There’s no one set way of how to get to where you want to be.
- First, you want to find out what is your long-range view, it’s a long game, and a patient game, and to stay the course.
- Working with passion is an endless fuel tank.
- Work on how to communicate with relationships, and when you don’t agree, accept that challenge and embrace it.
- Always when I travel, I not only have a relationship with co-workers, I have a relationship with the city.
Link to Abraham’s full interview from which these insights were taken:
Abraham Martínez Director of Photography
Find Abraham on:
10 Insights From Dan Bradford ~ Actor, Producer
10 Insights from Daniel Thomas
11 Insights From Sera-Lys McArthur: Actress, Producer
8 Insights From Alistair Findlay: Actor